Thursday, August 10, 2006

Bad Day

Is it because I stayed up late? Or was it the news of the planned terrorist attacks and the probable results of such plan? Was it the recent murder-by-beating of the little girl in Utah by her parents?

Was it because of that fight with my mom? Or the judgments of others I've been fighting off lately? Or maybe it's all the fighting in the middle east.

Maybe it's the crap on TV at the gym. Maybe it's the pain that friends & siblings are going through that I'm taking on? Or is it the job stress & worrying about my humanitarian work? Is it because I've been slipping health-wise & financial-wise?

Was it the massive splash of blood down 50 yards of the highway? Or was it the terrible conversation with one of the girls from my branch? Is it because I'm alone while Dan's taking a (much-needed) day off, which just so happens to horribly coordinate with a really bad day?

Regardless of why I'm having one...can I just say: I'm glad they're not all like this.

As I sang my heart out to a mildly sad song driving through the night, windows down, head high (maybe I was protesting...or maybe embracing the bad day)...either way, I sang loud and strong, and my heart was in it and it pushed the darkness away, just a little bit. What a solace music can be. I was remembering a quote -- I only remember the first part: "Music, friend that it is..." That was enough, though.

I'll have a cheerier outlook tomorrow.

4 Comments:

At 5:23 AM, Blogger Jared said...

Not to try and cheer you up and, by now, maybe you don't need it anyway. But when you said "I'm glad [not all days] are like this" it reminded me of something I heard just the other day. There's a motivational speaker who was badly injured in the Vietnam War--losing all of his teeth, one eye, both arms and a leg. One time he was out for a walk during a conference and he passed a group of punk kids. He yelled out to them, "Wonderful day!" One kid replied, "What's so wonderful about it?" He answered: "Have you ever not had one?"

 
At 5:23 AM, Blogger Jared said...

Absolutely gorgeous painting, btw.

 
At 9:02 AM, Blogger Marci said...

Thanks, J. Sleep has helped. Sometimes you just have "bad days" -- though, on the bright side...there was a GORGEOUS sunset.

 
At 6:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope you're having a better day today!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home