Thursday, June 08, 2006

Play, Exercise, and Doing Nothing...

So, Dan and I have developed our own versions of sports. We have now created “basket-nis” and “soggis”, two very different games both originating from our frustrating efforts to play tennis against a distinct lack of cooperation from the outside world. (Once due to no courts being available and so we found ourselves on the elementary school basketball courts instead…the other when the courts were wet from a rainstorm. We also attempted to play a form of racquetball-tennis against the side of the elem. school building, but quit when I hit the ball onto the roof).

Anyway, these games became a bit like Calvinball, where we get to make up the rules as we go along. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calvin_and_Hobbes#Calvinball) The best part of Soggis was by far the Scottish accents that we were required to converse in (Dan’s much better at this than I), and the way the “sogging” ball would spiral out water when you’d hit it. I also enjoyed the lightning rule, and the way we could throw the word “sogging” in front of everything. The most defining moment of the game had to be when the bagpipers kicked in with the background “theme music”, really bringing the game home to its Scottish roots. (With a name like “soggis” what did you expect?)

I was, once again, reminded of the importance of play. Sometimes I think I take myself far too seriously and Dan helps me with that. I can be so relaxed with him that I can have a fantastic time playing around like a “sogging” kid. (side note: What a blast it is to date a friend! I highly recommend it.)


So, the other reminder I had last night, which relates to this idea of “play” is how critical exercise can be…not just physically, but spiritually, mentally, and emotionally. I hadn’t realized that I was carrying around so much pain, until I got to the gym and started running and sweating and stretching and straining…and feeling the tension and the stress (mental and emotional as well as physical) ease out of me. It seemed to bring everything into clearer perspective. More in balance.

I remember when I was at school in Logan, and I started getting into the habit to take a few minutes a day to just lie down on the ground and do nothing but look up at the sky and breathe, (and maybe think). It would only be a few moments, but I could feel the tension ease away. How often we rush from activity to activity…with the next thing to do lined up, and as soon as we’re finished with one thing, we’re off to another. Even when that thing is supposed to be “sleeping” or going to the movies – there’s something different about taking a few moments to just sit. Breathe. Think. Do Nothing.

I’ve gotten out of the habit lately, but I want to start again. Maybe I’ll try to get back to watching the sunset again.


2 Comments:

At 5:02 AM, Blogger Jared said...

One thing that impressed me was when you and Shasta would dress up funky and dance one night a week in your living room.

We'll have to play "soggis" when you guys come out and visit...I'll play the bagpipes.

 
At 12:22 AM, Blogger Marci said...

yeah..."Dance Party USA!" was a blast. And who said it was one night a week? It was whenever the mood to boogie hit.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home